About Dave Bourgeois
The Internet in the greatest communication technology ever invented by man, and it is imperative that those who follow Christ understand how to use it well. This is why I wrote my book. This web site is the web site of my book and my place for making resources available and sharing the research I am doing in this field.
My passion is to see technology used by Christ-followers to bring the love of Jesus Christ to the world. I believe the Lord has placed me where I am right now to play a small part in helping make that happen. My focus is to develop resources based on research to those doing ministry online.
I worked in the IT industry for 15 years before doors opened and closed leading me to become a professor at Biola University. I completed a PhD in Spring 2006 at the School of Information Systems and Technology at Claremont Graduate University. I live in Brea, California, with my wife Marne and my five sons and one daughter.
Where I’ve been and where I’m going…
- I just published my book with Intervarsity Press, Ministry in the Digital Age.
- I am co-taught a course at Claremont Graduate University on “Social Technologies and the Arts.”
- I directed the biola.digital conference, held on campus at Biola from June 4-6, 2013. Look for the 2014 conference information coming soon!
- I led a webcast on digital ministry strategy for the Christian Leadership Alliance on February 28, 2013.
- On February 25, 2013, I was interviewed on the ReformedCast podcast about my upcoming book, Ministry in the Digital Age. You can hear the podcast by going here.
- In April 2012 I spoke at the Ministry Internet and Technology Summit as part of the Christian Leadership Alliance conference in Orlando, FL. My session was on “Using Digital Technologies for Education and Discipleship.”
- I was the conference director for the 2012 Biola Digital Ministry Conference.
- In the summer of 2012 I taught my online course entitled Digital Ministry.
- In the summer of 2011, I taught my online graduate course at Biola, Using the Internet and Social Media for Ministry.
- On August 20, 2011, I spoke at the Southern Baptist Convention’s “Community Ministry Conference and Workshop”. My topic was Developing a Strategy for Social Media Ministry.
- On June 23rd, 2011, I co-led the CLA Webinar: 6 Online Trends Your Ministry Must Address Today to over 300 ministries.
- 2011 Christian Ministries Training Association (CMTA) convention – April 2011 – my session was on developing a strategy for social media and Internet ministry.
- CLA 2011 Ministry Internet and Technology Summit – April 2011 – my session was on using research to improve your online ministry.
- Christian Web Conference – April 2011 – my session was on beginning social media strategy.
- Online course: Using the Internet and Social Media for Ministry – Summer 2010 – Biola University. Â I led nine students through an intense six-week graduate-level course where they learned the tools and developed a strategy for going online in ministry.
- CLA 2010 Ministry Internet and Technology Summit – April 2010 – I am part of a team that is developing a framework for online excellence utilizing research and case studies. I will be part of two sessions at the conference. For updates on our progress, seeÂ The State of Ministry Online.
- Turkey Internet Evangelism Network (TIEN) 2010 Conference, March 4-6, 2010, in Istanbul, Turkey – I spoke to over sixty attendees during four sessions on online strategy and best practices.
- Worship Leader Magazine: I wrote an article about the future of online church.Â Unfortunately, this is not available for free online.
- Outcomes (Fall 2009): I wrote an article to be published this fall on strategy for ministries going online. They liked it so much that they are making it a feature story and putting me on the cover. There’s no accounting for taste… link to article.
- Worship Leader Magazine (July/August 2009): I was interviewed about how the church is using the Internet. An excerpt is in the magazine, you can see the full interview online here.
- Indiana Center for Congregations, September, 2009 – Asked to speak again on Internet strategy for congregations, this time to over 50 congregations.
- Christian Web Conference – September 2009 – Biola University – developing a philosophy of Internet ministry.
- Indiana Center for Congregations, March 2009: presented a workshop on church Internet strategy to over 70 congregations.
- Biola University, spring semester, 2009: developed and taught a course on Internet ministry.
- Internet Ministry Conference, October 2008: Keynote speaker, presenting my research on “Best Practices in Internet Ministry”. No link to conference – it no longer has a web site!